Funds Needed To Complete Refurbishing of Historic Site
The Extol Sports Team Reports | Courtesy Photos
BUILT IN 1937, the Nachand Fieldhouse was home to Jeffersonville High School Basketball until 1971 and has played a vital role in not only the local community, but the entire state of Indiana.
At the time the fieldhouse was built, it was the largest fieldhouse in the state, second only to Hinkle Fieldhouse at Butler. Nachand Fieldhouse has played host to thousands of events. Over the years, many people have called the venue their home away for home.
Now a group is working to restore the fieldhouse and ensure its future.
Earlier this year, Papa John’s founder John Schnatter donated $800,000 toward the effort to restore the historic facility. The Jeffersonville native announced his contribution in August, which ignited a campaign by the Jeffersonville Parks Authority and its supporters to raise the remaining funds needed for the $1.8 million necessary to refurbish the gymnasium.
The fieldhouse, which will be renamed John H. Schnatter Nachand Fieldhouse, was originally named after Jeffersonville Park’s Director Charles Nachand. To learn more, go to savethefieldhouse.net.